Sunday, November 20, 2016

Critical reflection on Effective Communication

For the past 10 weeks while undergoing this module, I discovered things that I never knew existed and hence, I was able to further improve my communication skills. English has never been my strongest subject and I just assumed I was naturally bad in it. However, after undergoing this module, some of the 'hidden' flaws I had before were identified and was addressed.

In the past, my mindset was that a presentation requires no practice and it's just whether you naturally have presentation skills or not. Throughout my polytechnic days, my presentations had always been spontaneous and more to reading off the slides. Hence, I tend to use filler words and talk fast in order to smoke through the presentation. However, from the recent presentation, not only did I rehearse my presentation but I also presented my points without referring to the slides and using stories and humor to relate to the audience which I feel immensely improved my presentation. 

As for writing skills, I have always been focusing more on creating a sentence that sounds 'right' rather than it being grammatically correct. This include the use of inconsistent verb tense and repetition of a particular word in the writings. After feedback from Brad and my classmates, I strived to address these flaws. Ever since, I always try to keep my sentence structures simple while retaining the meaning in it. By doing this, I was able to reduce the use of a particular word, especially connectors, and also ensure that it is grammatically correct.

Through this module, I discovered that there is still a lot more that could be done to further improve my communication skills. Hence, to end it off, I would like to share a quote that I started living by not too long ago:
               ''The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement''.
               -Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Azrie, for this clear and comprehensive critical reflection. I'm happy to know that you found many takeaways in your work this term. Your post shows well how you made changes in your approach to various forms of communication. I appreciate the great effort.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Azrie,

    It is nice to hear from you when you said "As for writing skills, I have always been focusing more on creating a sentence that sounds 'right' rather than it being grammatically correct." I believe a lot of individuals also do that. Be consistent and change a correct form to 'right'.

    See you back in school next tri!

    Regards,
    Khia Meng

    ReplyDelete